About the Initiative
The energy industry is in transition. Technological innovation and increasing competitiveness of renewable energy resources, combined with aging infrastructure, extreme weather events, and system security and resiliency needs, are all leading to significant changes in how electric energy is produced, managed and consumed. New York State must lead the way to ensure these trends benefit the State’s citizens, whose lives are so directly affected by how electric energy is manufactured, distributed, and managed.
To meet this challenge, the Commission commenced its Reforming the Energy Vision (REV) initiative to reform New York State’s energy industry and regulatory practices. This initiative will lead to regulatory changes that promote more efficient use of energy, deeper penetration of renewable energy resources such as wind and solar, wider deployment of “distributed” energy resources, such as micro grids, on-site power supplies, and storage. It will also promote greater use of advanced energy management products to enhance demand elasticity and efficiencies. These changes, in turn, will empower customers by allowing them more choice in how they manage and consume electric energy.
The Commission has identified six core policy outcomes relating to customer knowledge, market animation, system-wide efficiency, fuels and resource diversity, system reliability and resiliency, and carbon reduction. A Staff Report and Proposal sets forth a vision for how to accomplish the Commission’s objectives. The proposal describes how customer-side resources can become a primary tool in the planning and operation of the utility system, which will improve system efficiency and enable the deployment of cleaner and more resilient technologies. The Report further explains how reforms in the utility ratemaking process will be necessary, to provide the correct incentives for utilities and markets to develop a cleaner and more efficient electric system.
- Market Design and Platform Technology Working Groups are meeting to design proposals. Their schedule and ongoing work products can be followed at the following link: https://newyorkrevworkinggroups.com/
- The Commission will consider changes in current regulatory, tariff, and market designs and incentive structures to better align utility interests with achieving the Commission’s policy objectives.
Staying informed of activity is easy through the Department's Document and Matter Management (DMM) System. As a registered user of the application you will be able to self-subscribe to the service or party list, submit Comments and E-File.
- E-Filing - Electronic filing through the Department's Document and Matter Management (DMM) System provides for secure, fast and accurate processing of your filings. With E-Filing you will be able to submit up to 100 MB of data of both public and confidential documents. E-Filing is the preferred method of submission of filings.
- Comments - See Submitting Comments section below.
- Service List - By subscribing to a service list for a case, an email notification will be sent to you when a filing and/or issuance is entered in the case. Subscribers can request to receive “Commission Issuances Only” or “Filings and Commissions Issuances”.
- Party List - Generally, parties commit to contribute to the development of a complete record in a proceeding by conducting discovery, submitting testimony, briefs, or other formal written comments, and/or participating in evidentiary hearings, procedural conferences and other formal events conducted in the case.
How to Register with DMM
How to Subscribe to the Service List
Electronic Filing Registration Instructions
Technical Conference Meetings
- May 28, 2015 - Notice of second collaborative meeting on July 1, 2015 on consolidated Energy Service Companies billing.
- May 11, 2015 - Notice of collaborative meeting regarding Energy Service Companies billing on June 29, 2015
- March 31, 2015 - On the REV Agenda: The Role of Time-Variant Pricing
- March 13, 2015 - New York's Energy Vision - A Conversation on Valuing Resources - Agenda
- November 6, 2014 - Technical Conference Agenda
- October 10, 2014 - Notice of November 6, 2014 Technical Conference
- July 10, 2014 - Technical Conference 9:00 A.M. Meeting Room 6, Concourse, Empire State Plaza, Albany - Agenda - Webcast
- July 10, 2014 - Working Group Presentations
- May 22, 2014 - Symposium Presentations
- May 22, 2014 - Symposium Webcast
- May 20, 2014 - "An Energy Agenda for the Future" Symposium on May 22, 2014 -- Agenda and Directions. Map
- May 12, 2014 - REV Collaborative Meeting Presentation
- April 25, 2014 - Notice of May 22, 2014 Symposium on Reforming the Energy Vision
- April 25, 2014 - Notice of May 12, 2014 Collaborative Meeting
- July 1, 2015 - Staff BCA Whitepaper Final
- July 1, 2015 - REV BCA Appendix B (Con Edison Marginal Cost Study 2012)
- July 1, 2015 - REV BCA Appendix A (ICAP Forecast - June 2015)
- June 30, 2015 - Ruling extending filing deadline for Track Two Staff Proposal, DER Oversight Staff Proposal, and MDPT Working Group Report.
- June 16, 2015 - Notice of July 8, 2015 Large Scale Renewable Program Technical Conference
- June 1, 2015 - Commission institutes a REV large-scale renewable (LSR) proceeding and solicits comments. (Case 15-E-0302)
- May 29, 2015 - Secretary grants DPS Staff request to for further extension of deadline to file the Staff Benefit Cost framework from June 1, 2015 to July 1, 2015.
- April 20, 2015 - Notice extending filing deadlines.
- April 10, 2015 - Notice of petition for rehearing
- March 31, 2015 - Filing of Market Design and Platform Technology Group work plan.
- March 27, 2015 - Ruling extending the filing date of the Market Design and Platform Technology Group work plan.
- March 17, 2015 - Notice soliciting comments on microgrids.
- March 17, 2015 - Notice of March 23, 2015 stakeholder information session on REV demonstration projects.
- March 3, 2015 - Notice or REV Seminars on March 13, 2015 and March 31, 2015.
- February 26, 2015 - Order Adopting Regulatory Policy Framework and Implementation Plan
- February 5, 2015 - Reforming the Energy Vision (REV) Presentation
- January 28, 2015 - Notice of Additional REV Public Statement Hearings in Rochester on February 11, 2015 and Binghamton on February 12, 2015
- January 26, 2015 - Notice of Additional REV Public Statement Hearing in Yonkers on February 10, 2015.
- January 7, 2015 - Press Release - PSC Seeks Public Input on Energy Regulatory Reform Initiative
- January 7, 2015 - Public Statement Hearings Notice and Fact Sheet
- December 23, 2014 - Email to Parties Regarding REV Schedule and Hearings
- December 12, 2014 - Notice Encouraging Development of Demonstration Project Proposals
- December 12, 2014 - Memorandum and Resolution on Demonstration Projects
- Reforming the Energy Vision - Fact Sheet
- October 24, 2014 - Memorandum and Resolution and Draft Environmental Impact Statement
- August 25, 2014 - Ruling Modifying Process for Filing Comments on Track One Straw Proposal
- August 22, 2014 - DPS Staff Issues REV Straw Proposal
- July 30, 2014 - Ruling Concerning Track 1 Schedule and Technical Conference
- July 25, 2014 - Ruling Revision Track 2 Schedule
- June 4, 2014 - Ruling Posing Questions on Selected Policy Issues and Potential Outcomes, Establishing Comment Process, and Revising Schedule
- May 30, 2014 - Letter Ruling Track 1 Collaborative
- May 9, 2014 - Letter Ruling on Process for First Collaborative Meeting
- May 1, 2014 - Ruling Issuing Track 2 Questions and Establishing a Response Schedule
- May 1, 2014 - Ruling Establishing Collaborative Agenda and Working Schedule
- April 25, 2014 - Order Instituting Proceeding
- DPS Staff Report and Proposal
- Working Groups
View all related commission documents for this case
You may need Adobe Acrobat to read the pdf files
See other web pages in the category: Electric,
See other web pages in the category: What's New