The LIPA Reform Act (LRA) provides for statutorily mandated oversight of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) and PSEG Long Island (PSEG LI) by the NYS Department of Public Service (DPS). DPS opened (in 2014) and maintains a Long Island based office (DPS LI) to implement state oversight of LIPA and PSEG LI.
DPS LI works with PSEG LI and LIPA to build and ensure accountability and transparency to Long Island electric service customers. DPS LI provides direct access to DPS resources for Long Island. The people of Long Island can now rely on DPS LI to assist them in their needs regarding electric service.
In particular, DPS LI’s key areas of focus include:
The DPS LI website and contact information is at the disposal of Long Island to provide them the resources they need.
- Electric Rates
- DPS along with LIPA and PSEG LI completed a comprehensive Three-year Rate Plan proceeding, the first in over twenty-years for Long Island. Read more
- DPS and DPS LI provide various annual reviews of:
- Emergency response plans and planning
- Capital expenditure plans and future capital planning
- Incentive based performance metrics
- Long-range electric system improvement plans
- Comprehensive management and operations audits of PSEG LI and LIPA
- Oversight of consumer rights and responsibilities including tariff provisions and rate classifications
- Consumer complaint investigation and resolution
- Consumer outreach and education