New York State Department of Public Service

New York State Public Service Commission
Office of Consumer Services
Three Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12223-1350
Toll Free: 800-342-3377 Fax: 518-472-8502

Please contact your service provider before filing your complaint with the New York State Public Service Commission.

Important Notice for Electric and Gas Customers: If you received a final disconnection notice from your utility that your electric or gas service will be shut off within 72 hours, please contact the Department of Public Service by telephone rather than using our web form. Please call 1-800-342-3355 on weekdays from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm for assistance.

Issues pertaining to Cellular Telephone, Satellite Television, Internet, Home Heating Oil, and Propane should be directed to the NYS Attorney General.

If you have a complaint concerning long distance telephone calls made to locations outside New York State you should contact the Federal Communications Commission.

If you have a complaint concerning your Water Service and you receive water from your Municipality, you should contact your Municipality directly. The Public Service Commission does not have jurisdiction over Municipal Water Authorities.

IMPORTANT: We recommend using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 11 or greater.
Users who are not using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 11 or greater may find that some or all of the features on this page will not function properly.

Request Case Status
Enter your E-Mail address :
Enter your case number :

Municipal Officials/Community Advocates: Click here to download a form to file a Public Service Law Section 71 complaint

Public Service Law section 71 addresses complaints related to the quality and price of gas and electricity. A complaint submitted under this section requires a petition signed by 25 or more utility customers, or signed by a mayor, trustee of a village, town board of a town, chief executive of a county, or legislative body of a county in which a gas or electric corporation manufactures, transports, sells, or supplies gas or electricity or submitted on behalf of the New York State Department of State.