The New York State Public Service Commission (Commission) announced that residential, business and wireless customers within the existing 516 Nassau County area code region should begin to prepare for the introduction of the new 363 area code, beginning the second quarter of 2023.
To meet the increasing demand for residential and business phone numbers in Nassau County, the Commission, on January 20, 2022, approved a new area code overlay to be added to the current 516 area code serving Nassau County. In an overlay, a new area code is superimposed on the existing area code geographic area with the result that two different area codes serve the same region.
Beginning the second quarter of 2023, customers in the existing 516 area code requesting new service, an additional line, or a move in the location of their service, may be assigned a number in the new 363 area code.
Important facts that consumers and businesses need to know about the upcoming 363 area code overlay are:
- Current telephone numbers, including current area code, will not change.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services will not change due to the overlay.
- What is a local call now will continue to remain a local call.
- Calls between 516 and 363 area codes are local calls.
- Consumers will continue to dial the area code + telephone number for all calls to other area codes.
Please visit the New York State Department of Public Service Website https://www.dps.ny.gov/ and refer to case 21-C-0473, for additional information.
- Calls to reach 911 Emergency Service will remain three digits.
See other web pages in the category: Other