DMM Help: Advanced Search - Document Search
The Advanced Search screen will allow you to construct a search of your choice for documents or for cases.
The default type of search will return a list of Matters or Cases that meet your search criteria.
You can change the default behavior so that the search returns a list of Documents that meet your search criteria.
This help describes the behavior of the "Document" type search.
The top portion of the screen, under the blue "Matter/Case Search" banner, allows you to enter criteria for finding information about a Commission Matter or Case.
If you enter more than one search criteria, the search results will be the logical "and" of all the criteria. That is to say, in order to be returned by the search, a record would have to meet all the criteria entered on the screen.
- Matter/Case Number. If you know the identifying number given the matter or case by the Commission, enter it here. If you enter this information, leave the rest of the screen blank and click on the "Search" button. You may want to know more about how Case and Matter numbers are constructed,
- Start Date From: Start Date To: Use these fields to search for Cases or Matters that were started by the Commission between two dates. You can type dates in these fields in mm/dd/yyyy format (e.g. 04/09/2009) or you can use the calendar controls next to the fields to pick a date from a calendar. If you are not sure when the Commission started a case, leave these fields blank.
- Matter Type: Use the drop down list to limit your search results to a certain type of Matter or Case (e.g. Petition, Tariff, Rulemaking). If you are not sure what type of case or matter you are looking for, leave this field blank.
- Matter Subtype: Each matter type can have multiple subtypes. For example, a Petition type case may have a subtype of "Major Rate", "Minor Rate" or "Non-rate". Use the drop down list to limit your search results to a certain subtype of Matter or Case. If you are not sure what subtype of case or matter you are looking for, leave this field blank.
- Company Name: Entering a Company name here will limit your search to Cases or Matters that pertain to that company. Enter a company name by clicking on the "Add" link under the Company Name label. If you are not sure what company your search pertains to, leave this field blank. Read more help about selecting a company.
- Industry Affected: Use the drop down list to limit your search results to a Matter or Case that pertain to a certain industry. (Electric, Gas, Water etc.). If you are not sure what industry you are looking for, leave this field blank.
When you have the screen filled out as you require, click the "Search" button (on the top or bottom of the screen). You will see search results like illustrated below.
This search will return a list of documents that have been issued by, or filed by, the Commission.
Each line in the grid returned from this search refers to a file in our library. Each file is associated with a case and with a filing. A filing is a group of files that were received by the Commission at the same time.
On this screen, when you see column headers that have hyperlinks (e.g. Filing No., Filed Date), you can click on that header to sort the grid by that column.
- Icon - for file type. Most of our files are PDF files. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read these files. You get get this software at Adobe's web site.
- Filing No. - Filing Number. Refers to the sequential number of the filing in the case. A filing is a group of files that were received by the Commission at the same time. Files in the same case that have the same filing number were received together. Clicking on the filing number hyperlink will open a pop-up box showing information about the filing.
- Filed Date - The date the file was filed with the Commission
- Document Type - The type of document filed.
- Document Title - The title of the document. Clicking on this hyperlink will open the document.
- Filing on Behalf Of - Who filed the document
- Matter Case No. - The identifying number given the case by the Commission.
- File Name - The file name given the file by the submitter. May contain information about the file not contained elsewhere.
- File Size - The size of the file in Kilobytes